Sunday, November 20, 2005

Sheldon on "Spiderman" (5.11c)

This is Sheldon climbing "Spiderman". "Spiderman" is a nice 5.11 slab route found in Hidden Valley within Jasper National Park. Sheldon is on his first ascent of the route, and just about to find his way into the crux (crux: the most difficult portion of a particular climb). It is easy to see why the route was so aptly named as there are so very few obivious holds found on this climb. I was able to take this shot by climbing into a perch we had set-up using two adjacent routes. This is the very same perch that I was in long enough to cause the front half of my left big toe to go nerve def. Sheldon informed me this condition is commonly known as "Christmas toe", apparently since I would not have feeling return to my toe until sometime around Christmas. Well, I can happily report that Christmas has not yet come around and I have had a full recovery of sensation in my big toe, though it did take several months for the nerves to re-grow.

No comments: